When you arrive at the hospital in labor, you can settle into a comfortable, private room equipped for labor, delivery and recovery. You will have a fully adjustable bed, a reclining chair or couch for your partner or labor assistant, and a private bathroom and shower. We take pride in our labor and delivery nurses, who can guide you through your delivery.
Maternity Services at Palmetto General Hospital
Families can rest assured that advanced medical care for premature or ill newborns can be found on-site. For infants with special needs, around-the-clock neonatal care is available in our licensed 15-bed, Level II Intensive Care Unit.
The NICU at Palmetto General Hospital is staffed 24 hours a day with a neonatologist, a doctor specializing in newborn intensive care. In addition to a neonatologist, our neonatology team includes doctors, physical therapists, nutritionists, pharmacists, and other medical staff.
Our Maternity Care Center with VIP services is designed to offer comfort and convenience that allows patients to be surrounded by family members and features:
VIP services currently not offered due to COVID
- Private, ground floor entrance for easy access
- Anesthesiologist & Certified Nurse Anesthetist available 24/7
- 3 Operating Rooms/Cesarean Rooms
- 14 mother/baby rooms, with a reclining chair or couch for your partner, labor assistant or other family members
- 4-bed outpatient/triage area
- Lactation Room
Effective April 15, 2021 the Maternity Care Center will resume in-person Childbirth Classes, CPR Infant Classes and Maternity Care Center tours with a modified amount of four couples per class.
The schedule will be as follows:
- Childbirth classes-Tuesdays from 6PM-9PM
- Infant CPR-once a month on a Thursday from 6PM-7PM
- Maternity Care Center Tours from 4:30PM-6:00PM on the same Thursday as the infant CPR class
- Breastfeeding and baby care classes - once a month on a Tuesday from 6PM– 9PM.
Patients can schedule classes and/or tours by calling the call center at 1-800-522-5292. The classes will be offered in English and Spanish on alternating months.